In this article, we will learn how to make holographic print then cut stickers using a vinyl cutting machine.
Holographic stickers are trendy and cute, and they can be used to decorate various items such as notebooks, laptops, and packages.
They also have the added benefit of being water-resistant.
So, whether you want to make them for yourself or give them as gifts, this tutorial will guide you through the process.
Before we begin, let’s gather all the materials we’ll need for this project:
- Computer or laptop
- Sticker paper (such as Royal Elements printable vinyl)
- Vinyl cutting mat
- Adhesive laminate (for the holographic effect)
- Vinyl cutting machine (such as Silhouette Cameo)
- Ruler (optional, but helpful for smoothing out the laminate)
Getting Started in Silhouette Studio
To create our holographic stickers, we’ll be using Silhouette Studio software. However, you can use any software that supports print and cut functionality, such as Silhouette, Cricut, or Starcraft.
- Open Silhouette Studio or your preferred software.
- Set up your page by going to the Page Setup panel in the right-hand menu. Make sure to select the correct machine (e.g., Silhouette Cameo 3), cutting mat size (e.g., 12×12), and media size (e.g., 8.5×11 sticker paper). Set the orientation to Portrait and turn on registration marks.
- Import your sticker designs by going to File > Merge. You can use PNG files or ready-made sticker files. If using a PNG file, you’ll need to create an offset to define the cutting area. To do this, go to the Offset panel, click Offset, and adjust the size as desired. Fill the offset shape with white to make it easier to work with.
- Group your design together (Ctrl+G) and resize it to your desired sticker size.
- Arrange your designs on the page to make sure they fit within the sticker paper. You can play around with the placement until you’re satisfied.
- Once your designs are ready, go to the Send panel to configure your cutting settings. For kiss-cut stickers (where the laminate is cut but not the backing paper), use the cardstock setting with a manual blade. Adjust the force, speed, and blade depth as needed. It’s recommended to do a test cut to ensure the settings work for your machine.
- Print your page by going to File > Print. Select your printer and adjust the settings to match your sticker paper (e.g., 8.5×11, premium presentation paper, high quality).
- Load the printed sticker paper into your printer with the front side facing up (the side that’s more white).
- Once printed, cut the adhesive laminate to match the size of the sticker paper. Peel back a small portion of the backing paper and stick the laminate to the top of the sticker paper. Smooth it out using your fingers or a ruler to remove any bubbles. Trim off any excess laminate.
Applying the Laminate to the Sticker Paper
To apply the laminate to the sticker paper, follow these steps:
- Cut the adhesive laminate to match the size of the sticker paper. It’s recommended to cut it slightly smaller for easier handling.
- Peel back a small portion of the backing paper from the laminate, about an inch or so.
- Stick the top edge of the laminate to the sticker paper, aligning it with the top edge of the paper.
- Smooth out the laminate using your fingers or a ruler. Start from the top and work your way down, pressing out any bubbles as you go.
- Peel back a little more of the backing paper to expose more of the laminate.
- Use a ruler to smooth out the laminate, similar to how you would use a vinyl squeegee. This helps to ensure a smooth and bubble-free application.
- Continue peeling back the backing paper and smoothing out the laminate until the entire sheet is covered.
- Trim off any excess laminate from the bottom edge of the sticker paper.
Printing and Cutting the Stickers
Now that the laminate is applied to the sticker paper, it’s time to print and cut the stickers:
- Open the Print dialog in your software (e.g., File > Print).
- Select your printer and adjust the settings to match your sticker paper. Use the recommended settings, such as 8.5×11 paper size, premium presentation paper type, and high quality.
- Load the sticker paper into your printer with the front side facing up (the side with the laminate).
- Print the page.
- Once printed, remove the sticker paper from the printer and let it dry for a few minutes to ensure the ink is fully dry.
- Place the printed sticker paper onto the vinyl cutting mat, making sure it is aligned properly.
- Load the cutting mat into your vinyl cutting machine.
- In your software, go to the Send panel and make sure the correct machine and cutting settings are selected.
- Send the design to your cutting machine and let it do its magic. The machine will cut through the laminate and sticker paper, but not through the backing paper, leaving you with a sheet of kiss-cut stickers.
- Once the cutting is complete, unload the cutting mat from the machine and carefully remove the stickers from the mat. They should easily peel off, thanks to the kiss-cut design.
- Your holographic print then cut stickers are now ready to use! Stick them onto your desired surfaces and enjoy the beautiful holographic effect.
Making holographic print then cut stickers is a fun and creative way to personalize your belongings or create unique gifts.
With the help of a vinyl cutting machine and some sticker paper, you can easily turn your designs into eye-catching holographic stickers.
Remember to follow the steps outlined in this article to ensure successful results.
Have fun experimenting with different designs and sizes, and enjoy the process of creating your own holographic stickers!