In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step process of creating your own glitter tumblers using the epoxy and Loctite method.
Glitter tumblers make fantastic personalized gifts and can be customized to suit any style or preference.
Whether you prefer a sleek and smooth finish or a sparkly and textured look, this tutorial has got you covered.
So let’s dive in and get started!
Before we begin, let’s gather all the materials you’ll need for this project:
- Tumbler (stainless steel)
- Glitter (extra-fine or chunky)
- Epoxy resin
- Loctite spray adhesive
- Painter’s tape or electrical tape
- Rubbing alcohol
- Paper towels
- Sandpaper (600 grit)
- Vinyl decal (optional)
- Transfer tape (if using a vinyl decal)
- Tumbler turner (optional)
Step 1: Applying Glitter
- To start, we’ll apply the glitter to the tumbler. Begin by spraying the tumbler with Loctite spray adhesive. This will help the glitter adhere to the surface.
- Next, pour the glitter onto the tumbler, making sure to cover the entire surface.
- You can use either extra-fine or chunky glitter, depending on your preference. If you want a sleek and smooth finish, go for extra-fine glitter. If you prefer a more sparkly and textured look, opt for chunky glitter.
Step 2: Spreading the Glitter
- Once the glitter is applied, use a turner to rotate the tumbler and spread the glitter evenly.
- If you don’t have a tumbler turner, you can manually rotate the tumbler every few minutes. This step ensures that the glitter is distributed evenly and covers the entire surface of the tumbler.
Step 3: Removing the Tape
- After 30 minutes, remove the painter’s tape or electrical tape from the top and bottom of the tumbler. It’s important to remove the tape within this time frame to prevent it from becoming difficult to remove.
- Set a timer to ensure you don’t exceed 45 minutes, as it may be challenging to take off the tape after this point.
Step 4: Cleaning the Edges
- Once the tape is removed, clean the edges of the tumbler using a paper towel soaked in rubbing alcohol. This will remove any excess resin and give the tumbler a clean and polished look.
- Make sure to leave a small margin between the glitter and the stainless steel to protect the glitter and ensure it remains encased in resin.
Step 5: Allowing the Resin to Cure
- After cleaning the edges, allow the tumbler to continue tumbling for at least five hours. This will ensure that the resin has enough time to cure and harden.
- If you’re using a low-tech method without a tumbler turner, you can turn the tumbler every couple of minutes for the first half hour, and then every 10 minutes thereafter.
- If the tumbler has stopped dripping, you don’t need to turn it anymore. You can let it continue tumbling for longer than five hours if desired, but a minimum of five hours is recommended before moving on to the next step.
Step 6: Taping and Sanding
- After the resin has cured for at least five hours, it’s time to tape up the tumbler again and sand it. This step will help achieve a smooth and polished finish.
- Use painter’s tape or electrical tape to protect the edges of the tumbler and leave a margin between the glitter and the stainless steel. T
- hen, use 600 grit sandpaper to sand the tumbler until it feels smoother.
- The sandpaper will help remove any rough texture, especially if you used chunky glitter.
- Run your fingers along the tumbler until it feels mostly smooth.
Step 7: Applying Vinyl Decal (Optional)
- If you want to add a vinyl decal to your tumbler, now is the time to do it.
- Wipe the tumbler down with rubbing alcohol to ensure there are no debris or particles on the surface.
- Apply the vinyl decal using transfer tape, starting from the middle and moving outwards.
- If you’re unsure about applying multi-layer vinyl decals, there are tutorials available that can guide you through the process.
Step 8: Applying the Second Coat of Resin
- After applying the vinyl decal, it’s time to apply the second coat of resin. By putting the decal on before the second coat, it will be encased in resin and create a smooth finish.
- Apply an even coat of resin, making sure it goes all the way to the tape line. This second coat will help achieve a beautiful, mirror-like surface.
- Place the tumbler back on the tumbler turner or drying rack and spread the resin just as you did before.
- Make sure to cover the entire surface of the tumbler with an even coat of resin.
Step 9: Removing the Tape and Curing
- After applying the second coat of resin, remove the tape within 30 minutes.
- Set a timer to ensure you don’t exceed 45 minutes, as it may become difficult to remove the tape after this point.
- Once the tape is removed, allow the tumbler to cure for 24 to 48 hours for a full cure. During this time, the resin will harden and create a durable and glossy finish.
Step 10: Admire Your Glitter Tumbler
- After the curing period, you can finally admire your beautiful glitter tumbler!
- The two coats of resin, along with the sanding, will give your tumbler a smooth and mirror-like finish.
- The glitter will sparkle and shine, making it a stunning personalized gift or a stylish accessory for yourself.
Creating your own glitter tumblers is a fun and rewarding project that allows you to customize your drinkware to your liking.
Whether you prefer a sleek and smooth finish or a sparkly and textured look, this tutorial has provided you with the step-by-step process to achieve your desired result.
Remember to follow the proper curing times and techniques to ensure a durable and long-lasting finish.
So go ahead and get creative with your glitter and vinyl decals, and enjoy your personalized glitter tumbler!