Die cut stickers and kiss cut stickers may look similar, but they have some key differences.
In this article, we will explore the distinctions between these two types of stickers and help you decide which one is best for your needs.
Die Cut Stickers
Die cut stickers are cut straight through the vinyl and paper backing to fit the exact shape of your design.
This means that the backing of a die cut sticker is cut to the exact shape of the design, resulting in a sticker that looks great even before it’s applied.
Die cut stickers are popular because people tend to prefer their presentation.
Kiss Cut Stickers
On the other hand, kiss cut stickers are only cut through the vinyl, while the paper backing remains intact.
This means that a kiss cut sticker typically has a square backing around the design that is bigger than the sticker itself.
The vinyl material is cut into the desired shape, leaving the adhesive backing intact.
Kiss cut stickers are ideal for delicate designs as the backing helps protect the sticker while it’s being transported.
They are also easier to peel, making them a good choice if you need to quickly peel lots of stickers.
Additionally, kiss cut stickers allow you to print on the vinyl around the sticker, which is great for adding extra design detail or information.
Choosing Between Die Cut and Kiss Cut Stickers
When deciding between die cut and kiss cut stickers, there are a few factors to consider. Here are some points to help you make your decision:
- Design: If you have a design that requires a specific shape, die cut stickers are the way to go. The exact shape of the design will be cut out, resulting in a sticker that perfectly matches your artwork. On the other hand, if you want a design with a square or rectangular shape, kiss cut stickers can work well.
- Presentation: Die cut stickers are more popular because they offer a clean and professional look. The design is cut to the exact shape, giving it a polished appearance. Kiss cut stickers, on the other hand, have a square backing around the design, which may not be as visually appealing to some people.
- Durability: Both die cut and kiss cut stickers are durable and can be used for both indoor and outdoor applications. However, kiss cut stickers may offer slightly more protection for delicate designs due to the backing that remains intact.
- Ease of Use: Kiss cut stickers are generally easier to peel off the backing compared to die cut stickers. If you need to quickly apply multiple stickers, kiss cut stickers can save you time and effort.
Uses for Die Cut and Kiss Cut Stickers
Die cut and kiss cut stickers have a wide range of uses. Here are some common applications for each type:
Die Cut Stickers:
- Branding and labeling: Die cut stickers are great for companies to showcase their logo or product name. They can be applied to various surfaces such as laptops, water bottles, and more.
- Custom shapes: Die cut stickers can be cut into any shape, allowing for unique and creative designs.
- Promotional materials: Die cut stickers can be used for promotional purposes, such as giveaways or as part of a marketing campaign.
- Personalization: Die cut stickers can be customized with names, initials, or other personal details, making them great for personal use or gifts.
Kiss Cut Stickers:
- Delicate designs: Kiss cut stickers are ideal for intricate and delicate designs that need extra protection during transportation.
- Informational stickers: The extra space around the design of a kiss cut sticker allows for additional information or details to be printed on the vinyl.
- Artistic expression: Kiss cut stickers are popular among artists who want to create unique and detailed designs that can be applied to various surfaces.
- Packaging and branding: Kiss cut stickers can be used to add branding or decorative elements to product packaging.
In conclusion, both die cut and kiss cut stickers have their own advantages and uses.
Die cut stickers offer a clean and professional look, while kiss cut stickers provide extra protection for delicate designs and allow for additional design details.
Consider the specific needs of your design and the desired presentation when choosing between these two types of stickers.