Your Cart is empty
Christmas is coming! Fast! This year it’s time to try something new; something that will be as fun for you as it is for your gift recipients. It’s time to make DIY Christmas wrapping paper with stickers.
Are you excited about this craft? You should be! Let’s dive right in.
Why DIY Christmas Wrapping Paper?
There are a few reasons to make DIY Christmas wrapping paper this year. First, it’s more affordable than buying shiny, plasticized paper. Even if you are using the dollar store for this need, that stuff adds up. We’ll be using reams of kraft paper, which is quite affordable and multi purpose. You can use the leftover roll for other things all year round. Second, kraft paper is recyclable. We know that we all need to recycle more for the health of the planet. Why toss out wrapping paper that will sit in a landfill when you can reuse or recycle kraft paper instead? Third, let’s face it – it’s fun and a great way to get into the holiday spirit.
What you Need for DIY Christmas Wrapping Paper with Stickers
You will need:
- Kraft or butcher paper. Tissue paper works too for smaller gifts. You’ll just need to double or triple the sheets to make them non-see through.
- Printable sticker vinyl. This comes in glossy, clear, or matte. Glossy is going to make your design pop. Clear is good if your design has words.
- A laptop or computer to set up your design.
- A home printer. Any inkjet or laser will do.
- Your imagination.
That’s it! With those things you are all set.
How to make DIY Christmas Wrapping Paper with Stickers
To make your stickers, decide if you want to personalize the design to each gift recipient, or showcase artwork of your own making. Of course, you can simply find cheerful Christmas clip art and use that too. It is entirely up to you. The goal is to make something fun that can be peeled and stuck on the kraft/butcher/tissue paper. Don’t go too small or you’ll have a hard time peeling and setting your stickers. But don’t go too large or you’ll crack or peel the edge of your stickers as your wrap the gift. Think a few inches in diameter and/or height.
Since you’ll be making lots of little stickers to put on your paper, we suggest downloading a label template from Word or Avery. Now you can use the functionality in the template to either easily replicate the same design (for example, a candy cane or a Christmas tree) in even rows on the page, or you can place a unique design in each cell. Either way, you’ll maximize the space on the page and make it easier to cut.
While printable vinyl is a great option for DIY Christmas wrapping paper, you may prefer to print directly onto envelope labels. They aren’t as durable, but for those with limited dexterity in their fingers, (or doing this craft with small children) you can simply peel and stick the labels without having to cut out your design.
After you decide on your template and design, do a test run with a paper sheet. This way you won’t lose a sticker sheet by printing it on the wrong side! Put an X on a piece of printer paper. Now imagine that X is the side you need to print on. Load the test sheet and hit print (choose greyscale to save ink on your test run!) Did your design print on the right side? If so, you are good to load up your sheets and print your stickers.
Know that if you are using printable sticker vinyl, it is formulated for inkjet or laser printers. Be sure to choose the right one to get the most optimal brightness and crisp edges on your design.
Ideas for DIY Christmas Wrapping Paper
So, what shall you put on your stickers? Here are some ideas:
- If you are gifting the teen or tween in your life something that marks the passage of time, like a locket with their baby picture inside, consider stickers of photos of them throughout the years.
- Who doesn’t love romance, especially at Christmas? Make sweet stickers for your sweetheart with the little sayings or inside jokes you share, or clip art of a couple kissing by a fireplace. After all, somebody saw mommy kissing Santa Claus!
- Kids love bright and colorful stickers so go nuts with the bold Christmas designs. Rudolph and his red nose. A lit Christmas tree. Ornaments. You have limitless options!
- Get the family pets involved! Use an app to make cartoon versions of your dogs or cats and see how long it takes the family to figure out who is gracing their gift!
- Instructions – have you ever had to launch yourself across the room yelling “don’t shake that!” or “keep this side up?” Printed instructions on your DIY Christmas wrapping paper could be a sanity saver (even if it’s “hands off” to keep someone from peeking before Christmas day)!
This Christmas make your own wrapping paper. It’s the fun, affordable, eco-friendly way to add a little something extra, or personalized, to your gifts. All you need is printable sticker vinyl or precut printable labels, a printer, and a computer. Make your own designs or use readily availability Christmas clip art. No matter what you choose, you are sure to put smiles on faces with your personalized paper this Christmas.
Ready to get started? Royal Elements has everything you need. Our online store sells printable vinyl, adhesive vinyl, and heat transfer vinyl along with transfer tape, laminating sheets, magnetic sheets, and more. We love to see the projects you make using Royal Elements products. Post your results online with the hashtag #royalelementsstickers so we can feature your designs on our social networks (Facebook, Instagram, YouTube). Visit https://www.amazon.com/royalelements to learn more.