Your Cart is empty
The popularity of custom glitter tumbler has spread like wildfire over the past few years, ranging from small weekend DIY enthusiasts to armies of small business owners and crazy crafters churning out 10 custom glitter tumblers for impatient Etsy customers.
Even though it can be a scary process- once you get started you will fall in love with what you make and will become addicted, and don’t forget that you can take your awesome new DIY glitter tumbler wherever you go. We will show you how to create a breathtaking glitter and epoxy tumbler in the 9 steps listed below.
What you’ll need:
- Vinyl (waterslide decal paper, adhesive vinyl or printable vinyl will all work perfectly)
- Stainless steel tumbler
- dry paint brush
- Mod Podge waterbed sealer
- Fine powder glitter
- Alumilite Amazing clear casting resin
- Painter’s tape
- Rubber gloves (this can be a messy craft!)
- Stir sticks
- Plastic cups
- optional: cuptisserie turner
- Cricut Explore Air 2/Maker
1. Clean your tumbler and remove any tags or stickers. Do this by rinsing with soap and water. If needed use isopropyl alcohol or Goo Gone to remove tougher sticker glue.
2. Apply painter’s tape to the top and bottom of your tumbler. Wrap the take around the entire bottom and top so there is a line of tape running horizontally around the entirety of the tumbler. This step is crucial to make your tumbler look clean, as well as prevent epoxy and glitter getting in the lid.
3. You have the option to spray paint the tumbler whatever color you want as the base layer, though this is not necessary if you are going to cover it in glitter. You can pick up some spray paint from your local craft or paint store and give it a couple of coats of paint, waiting a couple of hours after to allow it to dry. Some crafters skip this step because they are going to cover the entire tumbler in epoxy- though you could opt for a different design pattern with the glitter only running through in streaks.
4. Apply Mod Podge with long strokes using your paint brush so that it is evenly spread along the tumbler. Its best to use foam paint brushes with your Mod Podge so that you are able to evenly apply it to your tumbler. They are also cheap and disposable which is a plus!
5. Cover your tumbler in a layer of glitter while turning the tumbler (either with a cuptisserie turner or by hand) making sure that it is evenly applied. Tap the excess glitter off and remove the tape.
6. Allow the tumbler to completely dry (over night if possible).
7. Use a dry paint brush to remove excess glitter and shake your tumbler out thoroughly.
8. Tape off the top again. Add a coating of Alumilite Amazing clear casting resin mix the epoxy in your plastic cups and apply evenly over the entire surface of the tumbler. This is where a cuptisserie motorized turner would be very handy- it will slowly turn your cup on a rotisserie motor which takes all the work out of manually turning your glitter tumbler every 30 minutes or so. This step is critical- you don’t want to leave the epoxy without turning it because it will drip and pool on whatever side gravity pulls it.
9. After the epoxy cures and dries, clean off your tumbler with rubbing alcohol. Now you are able to apply vinyl to your sealed tumbler! Then you will apply another layer of sealer using the above process.
Glitter tumblers are definitely involved and take a fair amount of patience and skill to create- but the end result is absolutely beautiful. Gathering all the supplies in advance and reading through a tutorial like this one will help you create the best custom tumbler possible. From the color range to custom adhesive vinyl designs available you will truly have a one of a kind tumbler to keep your drinks hot or cold wherever you go!